Saturday, March 14, 2009

Thoughts from Inexperienced Buyer

When I first learned about E-commerce a few years back, I’ve never gained an appreciation of the “convenience” it offers. As stated by the articles previously posted, E-commerce offers buyers the opportunity to order items from a seller from the convenience of their own homes. In a sense, buyers are attracted to the fact that their next new item is only one click away. The ordering process might be fast as they say but the delivery process is whole different story altogether. From what I’ve heard and read, including from one comment posted, ordered items almost never arrive on time. This “convenience” also comes with a risk that the buyer isn’t given the opportunity to actually “see” his or her item. in order to determine whether the said item is real and without damage. Also, a buyer must solely rely on his or her instincts whether to trust the sellers and all of the items posted on their sites. A buyer’s security is also compromised since he or she must provide the seller with his or her mailing address and credit card number in order to finalize their purchase. These things summed up the reason why the thought of purchasing online never crossed my mind.


This has been my way of thinking about E-commerce for the longest time until I’ve acquired this interest on Japanese video games. I’ve found out that majority of the Japanese video games I like aren’t available in local video game stores. Upon reading game forums, I’ve discovered that gamers from other countries (excluding Japan) who take a liking for these games obtain their copies by buying from online sites. It is from this experience that I’ve understood the advantages of E-commerce. For one, E-commerce is able to provide buyers with opportunities to purchase rarities that cannot be found in local stores. Another thing is that through the internet, businesses are able to reach a wider range of customers thus improving chances for increased profits. Just these two reasons alone make me want to try out E-commerce in order to see for myself whether its pros outweigh its cons.


Looking at our very own local scene, E-commerce hasn’t actually boomed as of yet but businesses are slowly picking up. Majority of the businesses I’ve seen make use of Multiply to display their wares. Some of my contacts in Multiply are actually E-commerce sites. One of the sites sells customized pins while another one sells various computers and cellphones.


From a seller’s point of view I personally believe that businesses should try and venture into E-commerce for I see that its capability of becoming a highly profitable form of dealing business. Add to that that newer generations are easily getting hooked on the internet and on social networking sites thus further widening the range of potential customers businesses can reach through E-commerce. The success of this will be determined with how well the businesses’ manage their sites and how well they handle their relations with customers.


I, myself, have yet to try out E-commerce but sooner or later I just might buy an item online because of the opportunities it offers for people like me. It is a high risk, for both the buyers and the sellers, but its rewards are just as promising for both parties.


What about you? What do you think about E-commerce?


By: Li Ferrer

1 comment:

  1. i think e-commerce is great. it builds bridges worldwide.

    ReplyDelete